Q. What is Vastu Shastra?
A. VASTU SHASTRA is the traditional Indian system of architecture and design of Vedic origin. Vastu means the dwelling of humans and Gods. Many Vastu rules are derived from 'Vastu Purusha Mandala' which is depicted as a man lying with his head pointing north east, in a grid of usually 64 squares. The different directions and sectors are assigned to different Gods and Guardians. It aims at providing guidelines for proper construction. Vastu orientates, places and dictates the proportions of every detail in building lines, skylines, elongations, levels, slopes, water (underground and overhead), kitchen, bedrooms, toilets, staircase, heights of ceilings and roofs, entrances, loci of doors and windows, compound walls and so on. Vastu is affected with positive power of three elements: the earth, the water, the fire (the sun).
1. Earth: was formed about 460 crore years ago and it was a fiery ball. In due course of time, the rocks melted and the surface has formed and acquired magnetism due to the magnetic particles embedded within. It has two poles, north pole and southpole.
2. Sky: is the endless space surrounding the universe. The universal concept of sky is beyond the imagination and reach of human beings as it is never ending and eternal.
3. Air (Atmosphere): is a composition of gases like oxygen, nitrogen, carbon-dioxide, helium, neon, crypton and vapor. Oxygen is life saving gas indispensable to living organism.
4. Water: due to rainfall from clouds, water flowed into low lying area of earth's surface and oceans were formed. The eternal water cycle is mystery of nature.
5. Sun: sun plays a vital role in Vastu Shastra. It is a source of life on earth and this is the reason why Sun is worshipped as an incarnation of god or the potential source of creation on the earth.
Q. Does Vastu Shastra promise prosperity?
A. No, not really. Vastu Shastra cannot be directly linked with prosperity. It only suggests ways in which we can live in tune with the laws of nature so that we can be healthy and peaceful and work efficiently. The ancient texts of Vastu Shastra have probably claimed to bring prosperity, as an indirect consequence of being able to perform well at home and work.